Monday, April 23, 2012

change....or stay the same?

Do you like change? I always thought I did, but I'm finding it more difficult to deal with as I get older. I used to thrive on change. Between the day after I graduated from high school in 1987, and the last time I moved, which was in 2003, I think I moved at least 25 times. At LEAST! 

Altho I disliked some of the reasons for moving, and the packing and unpacking generally wore me out, I loved being in a new home. I enjoyed finding new places for all my stuff. I enjoyed exploring newly discovered nooks and crannies where I could store "more stuff".  I moved so often when I first left home, that one apartment I never actually got all my stuff out of boxes and never even moved into my bedroom, before I was moving once again. I just enjoyed it...well, at least the result of moving. Not the actual moving itself.

I was always the one, when someone would come to me complaining of all the changes being made to their job, their home, their children, their LIFE, I was the one who always encouraged them, "Change is good. It's boring to stay the same."  I wanted more change in my life. Now? Not so much.

But change is good, right? At least some change is good. But why do so many people, including myself these days, resist it? Is it because, even tho the change will improve your quality of life, you're so used to what has always been that the new seems so....scary?  So weird? So....hard?

Even Jesus talked about this. In Luke 5, while He was telling a parable, He said, “No one tears a patch from a new garment and sews it on an old one. If he does, he will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old.  And no one pours new wine into old wine skins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wine skins will be ruined. No, new wine must be poured into new wine skins. And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for he says, ‘The old is better.’”

What is He saying here, exactly? The best explanation of it that I can find at the moment was found online at bethimmanuel dot org. It says: "The new garment is the Gospel/Grace/Kingdom/Church and the old garment is the Old Covenant/Law/Judaism. No one tears a new garment to patch an old one. Grace and law do not mix."

Grace and law do not mix.

How does this have to do with change? I think it has everything to do with it. Without grace, we stay the same. We continue to live in bondage, in fear, in desperation, with no hope of seeing what our lives could be. Without grace, I would still be living my former life, without life. Without grace, I would not have the power to change. I so desperately want to change. But it's so....hard. Difficult. Scary. Weird.

With the law (in other words, the curse), I have no hope of change. All I would see is what is obvious and in front of me. The same things, the same pain, the same "stuff" in the same places, the same nooks and crannies it's been in for....EVER.


"Yet, O Lord, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You our Potter, and we all are the work of Your hand." Isaiah 64:8

God uses change to mold us, to form us, to shape us into the person He wants us to become. Even the bad changes in our lives, God uses for creating good changes in us. Without clouds, there is no rain. Without rain, there is no growth. Without growth, there is no power. Without power, nothing changes......and in the big picture of life, everything stays the same. And that's just boring.

In our little family of two (3 if you count G, 6 if you count the fish!), there are some huge changes coming our way. Unfortunately for you, I am not at liberty to say what they are....yet.  I can only say that they are from God, and He knows what's best. Am I at all anxious about these potential changes? You bet! But I'm also very very excited. I don't know exactly when they will happen, but I know they are inevitable....and God's way of molding me, forming me, shaping me into the person He wants me to be. Now, to learn about PATIENCE....ho hum....

So, get out there! Make some changes....in your own life, and in the lives of others. I can guarantee you will never say the words "I'm bored!" ever again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, April 23, 2012

change....or stay the same?

Do you like change? I always thought I did, but I'm finding it more difficult to deal with as I get older. I used to thrive on change. Between the day after I graduated from high school in 1987, and the last time I moved, which was in 2003, I think I moved at least 25 times. At LEAST! 

Altho I disliked some of the reasons for moving, and the packing and unpacking generally wore me out, I loved being in a new home. I enjoyed finding new places for all my stuff. I enjoyed exploring newly discovered nooks and crannies where I could store "more stuff".  I moved so often when I first left home, that one apartment I never actually got all my stuff out of boxes and never even moved into my bedroom, before I was moving once again. I just enjoyed it...well, at least the result of moving. Not the actual moving itself.

I was always the one, when someone would come to me complaining of all the changes being made to their job, their home, their children, their LIFE, I was the one who always encouraged them, "Change is good. It's boring to stay the same."  I wanted more change in my life. Now? Not so much.

But change is good, right? At least some change is good. But why do so many people, including myself these days, resist it? Is it because, even tho the change will improve your quality of life, you're so used to what has always been that the new seems so....scary?  So weird? So....hard?

Even Jesus talked about this. In Luke 5, while He was telling a parable, He said, “No one tears a patch from a new garment and sews it on an old one. If he does, he will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old.  And no one pours new wine into old wine skins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wine skins will be ruined. No, new wine must be poured into new wine skins. And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for he says, ‘The old is better.’”

What is He saying here, exactly? The best explanation of it that I can find at the moment was found online at bethimmanuel dot org. It says: "The new garment is the Gospel/Grace/Kingdom/Church and the old garment is the Old Covenant/Law/Judaism. No one tears a new garment to patch an old one. Grace and law do not mix."

Grace and law do not mix.

How does this have to do with change? I think it has everything to do with it. Without grace, we stay the same. We continue to live in bondage, in fear, in desperation, with no hope of seeing what our lives could be. Without grace, I would still be living my former life, without life. Without grace, I would not have the power to change. I so desperately want to change. But it's so....hard. Difficult. Scary. Weird.

With the law (in other words, the curse), I have no hope of change. All I would see is what is obvious and in front of me. The same things, the same pain, the same "stuff" in the same places, the same nooks and crannies it's been in for....EVER.


"Yet, O Lord, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You our Potter, and we all are the work of Your hand." Isaiah 64:8

God uses change to mold us, to form us, to shape us into the person He wants us to become. Even the bad changes in our lives, God uses for creating good changes in us. Without clouds, there is no rain. Without rain, there is no growth. Without growth, there is no power. Without power, nothing changes......and in the big picture of life, everything stays the same. And that's just boring.

In our little family of two (3 if you count G, 6 if you count the fish!), there are some huge changes coming our way. Unfortunately for you, I am not at liberty to say what they are....yet.  I can only say that they are from God, and He knows what's best. Am I at all anxious about these potential changes? You bet! But I'm also very very excited. I don't know exactly when they will happen, but I know they are inevitable....and God's way of molding me, forming me, shaping me into the person He wants me to be. Now, to learn about PATIENCE....ho hum....

So, get out there! Make some changes....in your own life, and in the lives of others. I can guarantee you will never say the words "I'm bored!" ever again!


No comments:

Post a Comment