Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pirate!

OK, so my son just said to me while deciding which Pirates of the Caribbean movie to watch, "You must like that series."  Yes, my son, I do. I don't necessarily like all the goulies and such that are in them, but I love that era and all that goes along with it....pirating, swashbuckling, rescuing damsels in distress...Oh wait! That's knights in shining armor isn't it? But I enjoy a good "Knight's Tale" (another of my fav movies), as well.

Maybe it's because I like how these adventuresome men, although tough and rough on the outside, with all their carefree attitudes and ne'er do well lifestyles, they really are good at heart. They DO rescue their "damsels in distress" when those said damsels are in want of rescuing.

Maybe because I sometimes feel like a damsel in distress....OK OK, so it's most times that I feel that way.

But as I sat down here at the computer trying to think of something to blog about, I'm sitting here NOT watching the movie, but just listening. I am able to actually LISTEN to what is happening instead of just seeing with my eyes and becoming distracted by Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in all their swashbuckling glory. It came to my attention one particular scene that reminded me of something that seems to surprise so many people, including myself. It's the part where Will Turner and Captain Jack are fighting for the first time in the blacksmith's shop.  Jack has taken some ashes and blows them all over Will and kicks Will's sword away as he grabs his own gun. Will looks at Jack with a bewildered look on his face and says, "You cheated."  To which Jack replies, "Pirate!" 

Like "duh....what'd you expect from the likes of me?" 

photo from www.imdb.com

As I was able to listen, not only with my ears but also with my mind and my heart, I knew what I was to write about.

So many times we are surprised and often bewildered at the troubles that come our way. But really, if you think about it, SHOULD we really be all that surprised?  After all, Jesus tells us that "the devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy...."  We forget all about this when something terrible happens, and it's like we're telling the devil, "You cheated."  And the devil is saying "Pirate!"  Like "duh....what'd you expect from the likes of me?"

**Let it also be noted that pirates sing a song that goes something like this: "We're devils, we're black sheep. We're really bad eggs."

And now is the scene where Elizabeth is captured by those two ruffian, clumsy, oh-so-likable pirates. As she is about to be pulled out of the closet, she immediately tells them "Parlay!"  And isn't this what we, as believers in Christ, are supposed to tell the enemy of our souls? "Parlay!"  Let's take this to the King and let Him decide what to do with us. After all, it's His jurisdiction we are under. HIS Blood!  You dirty, rotten scoundrel have no right to place your hands on me....I belong to the King of kings! 

I never would have thought that God would speak to me thru a movie, let alone a movie about dirty, filthy pirates. But it's amazing what we will hear if we open our ears, our hearts, and close our eyes to the distractions that are swirling around us....and distractions they are.

We long for adventure. We long for a Rescuer. But there is only One who can fill that role in our lives. No pirate or swashbuckler, no matter how heroic and handsome he is, has shoes or a HAT big enough to be the Rescuer of our souls. Of our hearts.

So the next time the enemy throws troubles and trials your way, and you are surprised that this is happening to YOU....instead of saying "You cheated," you can say with boldness "Parlay!" And because the enemy is also under the jurisdiction of the King, he is obliged, nay DUTY-BOUND to take you to Him. And the King of kings will grant you the pardon you request. He will unbind your chains, ease your burdens, and make you as white as snow. 

photo from stephtmomof3.blogspot.com
Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;
 though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.  Isaiah 1:18

The Spirit of God, the Master, is on me because God anointed me.
He sent me to preach good news to the poor,
   heal the heartbroken,
Announce freedom to all captives,
   pardon all prisoners.
God sent me to announce the year of his grace—
   a celebration of God's destruction of our enemies—
   and to comfort all who mourn,
To care for the needs of all who mourn in Zion,
   give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes,
Messages of joy instead of news of doom,
   a praising heart instead of a languid spirit.
Rename them "Oaks of Righteousness"
   planted by God to display his glory.
They'll rebuild the old ruins,
   raise a new city out of the wreckage.
They'll start over on the ruined cities,
   take the rubble left behind and make it new.
You'll hire outsiders to herd your flocks
   and foreigners to work your fields,
But you'll have the title "Priests of God,"
   honored as ministers of our God.
You'll feast on the bounty of nations,
   you'll bask in their glory.
Because you got a double dose of trouble
   and more than your share of contempt,
Your inheritance in the land will be doubled
   and your joy go on forever. 
Isaiah 61:1-3 MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pirate!

OK, so my son just said to me while deciding which Pirates of the Caribbean movie to watch, "You must like that series."  Yes, my son, I do. I don't necessarily like all the goulies and such that are in them, but I love that era and all that goes along with it....pirating, swashbuckling, rescuing damsels in distress...Oh wait! That's knights in shining armor isn't it? But I enjoy a good "Knight's Tale" (another of my fav movies), as well.

Maybe it's because I like how these adventuresome men, although tough and rough on the outside, with all their carefree attitudes and ne'er do well lifestyles, they really are good at heart. They DO rescue their "damsels in distress" when those said damsels are in want of rescuing.

Maybe because I sometimes feel like a damsel in distress....OK OK, so it's most times that I feel that way.

But as I sat down here at the computer trying to think of something to blog about, I'm sitting here NOT watching the movie, but just listening. I am able to actually LISTEN to what is happening instead of just seeing with my eyes and becoming distracted by Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in all their swashbuckling glory. It came to my attention one particular scene that reminded me of something that seems to surprise so many people, including myself. It's the part where Will Turner and Captain Jack are fighting for the first time in the blacksmith's shop.  Jack has taken some ashes and blows them all over Will and kicks Will's sword away as he grabs his own gun. Will looks at Jack with a bewildered look on his face and says, "You cheated."  To which Jack replies, "Pirate!" 

Like "duh....what'd you expect from the likes of me?" 

photo from www.imdb.com

As I was able to listen, not only with my ears but also with my mind and my heart, I knew what I was to write about.

So many times we are surprised and often bewildered at the troubles that come our way. But really, if you think about it, SHOULD we really be all that surprised?  After all, Jesus tells us that "the devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy...."  We forget all about this when something terrible happens, and it's like we're telling the devil, "You cheated."  And the devil is saying "Pirate!"  Like "duh....what'd you expect from the likes of me?"

**Let it also be noted that pirates sing a song that goes something like this: "We're devils, we're black sheep. We're really bad eggs."

And now is the scene where Elizabeth is captured by those two ruffian, clumsy, oh-so-likable pirates. As she is about to be pulled out of the closet, she immediately tells them "Parlay!"  And isn't this what we, as believers in Christ, are supposed to tell the enemy of our souls? "Parlay!"  Let's take this to the King and let Him decide what to do with us. After all, it's His jurisdiction we are under. HIS Blood!  You dirty, rotten scoundrel have no right to place your hands on me....I belong to the King of kings! 

I never would have thought that God would speak to me thru a movie, let alone a movie about dirty, filthy pirates. But it's amazing what we will hear if we open our ears, our hearts, and close our eyes to the distractions that are swirling around us....and distractions they are.

We long for adventure. We long for a Rescuer. But there is only One who can fill that role in our lives. No pirate or swashbuckler, no matter how heroic and handsome he is, has shoes or a HAT big enough to be the Rescuer of our souls. Of our hearts.

So the next time the enemy throws troubles and trials your way, and you are surprised that this is happening to YOU....instead of saying "You cheated," you can say with boldness "Parlay!" And because the enemy is also under the jurisdiction of the King, he is obliged, nay DUTY-BOUND to take you to Him. And the King of kings will grant you the pardon you request. He will unbind your chains, ease your burdens, and make you as white as snow. 

photo from stephtmomof3.blogspot.com
Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;
 though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.  Isaiah 1:18

The Spirit of God, the Master, is on me because God anointed me.
He sent me to preach good news to the poor,
   heal the heartbroken,
Announce freedom to all captives,
   pardon all prisoners.
God sent me to announce the year of his grace—
   a celebration of God's destruction of our enemies—
   and to comfort all who mourn,
To care for the needs of all who mourn in Zion,
   give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes,
Messages of joy instead of news of doom,
   a praising heart instead of a languid spirit.
Rename them "Oaks of Righteousness"
   planted by God to display his glory.
They'll rebuild the old ruins,
   raise a new city out of the wreckage.
They'll start over on the ruined cities,
   take the rubble left behind and make it new.
You'll hire outsiders to herd your flocks
   and foreigners to work your fields,
But you'll have the title "Priests of God,"
   honored as ministers of our God.
You'll feast on the bounty of nations,
   you'll bask in their glory.
Because you got a double dose of trouble
   and more than your share of contempt,
Your inheritance in the land will be doubled
   and your joy go on forever. 
Isaiah 61:1-3 MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment