Sunday, April 21, 2013

Just 40 days!

Over the next few posts I will be writing about things I've journaled about in the past.  They are entries that I wrote after reading God's Word and what it revealed to me at that time.  Although I originally wrote them a few years ago, I think they still all apply to today. 

Just 40 Days!


 
Let's start with Exodus.  It's where Moses went up to Mount Sinai and left the Israelites for 40 days and nights. 

Then Moses climbed the mountain. The Cloud covered the mountain. The Glory of God settled over Mount Sinai. The Cloud covered it for six days. On the seventh day he called out of the Cloud to Moses. In the view of the Israelites below, the Glory of God looked like a raging fire at the top of the mountain.  Moses entered the middle of the Cloud and climbed the mountain. Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights.   ~Exodus 24:15-18

While he was gone, the Israelites built a golden calf to worship, and started sinning against God.  It only took a short time for them to be led astray--just 40 days!  That is not a long time in the big picture. 

When the people realized that Moses was taking forever in coming down off the mountain, they rallied around Aaron and said, “Do something. Make gods for us who will lead us. That Moses, the man who got us out of Egypt—who knows what’s happened to him?”
So Aaron told them, “Take off the gold rings from the ears of your wives and sons and daughters and bring them to me.” They all did it; they removed the gold rings from their ears and brought them to Aaron. He took the gold from their hands and cast it in the form of a calf, shaping it with an engraving tool.  The people responded with enthusiasm: “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up from Egypt!” 
~Exodus 32:1-4

If it only took the Israelites 40 days when God was just a few short steps away from them at the top of the mountain, how much sooner will we be led astray when we can't even see Him with our natural eyes?!

When we aren't continually in His Word, it doesn't take very long before we start to sin and stop following and trusting Him.  The Israelites were depending on Moses, a mere human, to lead them.  Even though God was in their presence, showing Himself thru a cloud of smoke during the day and a pillar of fire at night, they still would not listen to Him. Nor would they trust Him. 

The moment Moses, the one they were really following, left their site, they became afraid and felt the need to look to other things to put their trust in. Things they could see. Things they could touch.  They began worshiping something they created. They sinned in every way against the One in whom they SHOULD HAVE BEEN following and trusting.

I am also guilty of this sin.  I have been trusting in things I've created for myself. Things I can see and touch.  I have been relying on others as my source....my job, my family, my friends, my income, etc....things I have or could have.  I have not been trusting the One and only Source of EVERYTHING I could ever possibly want or need.  HE is the Source of my DESIRE.  He IS my desire!

One thing I have desired of the Lord, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple. ~Psalm 27:4

He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them. ~Psalm 145:9

Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. ~Psalm 73:25

When Moses came back down the mountain and saw the golden calf, he displayed an emotion that God was feeling at the same time--anger.  So in his anger, Moses ground the golden calf into dust and made them drink it in another of their sources....their water. 

God spoke to Moses, “Go! Get down there! Your people whom you brought up from the land of Egypt have fallen to pieces. In no time at all they’ve turned away from the way I commanded them: They made a molten calf and worshiped it....I look at this people—oh! what a stubborn, hard-headed people! Let me alone now, give my anger free reign to burst into flames and incinerate them. But I’ll make a great nation out of you.”   ~Exodus 32:7, 9-10

All that I have been "worshiping" can also be destroyed.  Although I am covered by the Blood of Jesus and so graciously forgiven, I could very easily be destroyed (and all that I have) if God so chooses to do so.  But in His mercy and grace, He chooses not to. What a amazing thing that is!

This is where I live every.single.day.....

My Prayer:

Father God, please forgive me for worshiping "things" and not You.  Please forgive me for not trusting You and please help me to trust You more.  JESUS is my Source. Show me just how BIG my Source is. Relieve me of my "things" and help me to come to You for my every need and desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Just 40 days!

Over the next few posts I will be writing about things I've journaled about in the past.  They are entries that I wrote after reading God's Word and what it revealed to me at that time.  Although I originally wrote them a few years ago, I think they still all apply to today. 

Just 40 Days!


 
Let's start with Exodus.  It's where Moses went up to Mount Sinai and left the Israelites for 40 days and nights. 

Then Moses climbed the mountain. The Cloud covered the mountain. The Glory of God settled over Mount Sinai. The Cloud covered it for six days. On the seventh day he called out of the Cloud to Moses. In the view of the Israelites below, the Glory of God looked like a raging fire at the top of the mountain.  Moses entered the middle of the Cloud and climbed the mountain. Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights.   ~Exodus 24:15-18

While he was gone, the Israelites built a golden calf to worship, and started sinning against God.  It only took a short time for them to be led astray--just 40 days!  That is not a long time in the big picture. 

When the people realized that Moses was taking forever in coming down off the mountain, they rallied around Aaron and said, “Do something. Make gods for us who will lead us. That Moses, the man who got us out of Egypt—who knows what’s happened to him?”
So Aaron told them, “Take off the gold rings from the ears of your wives and sons and daughters and bring them to me.” They all did it; they removed the gold rings from their ears and brought them to Aaron. He took the gold from their hands and cast it in the form of a calf, shaping it with an engraving tool.  The people responded with enthusiasm: “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up from Egypt!” 
~Exodus 32:1-4

If it only took the Israelites 40 days when God was just a few short steps away from them at the top of the mountain, how much sooner will we be led astray when we can't even see Him with our natural eyes?!

When we aren't continually in His Word, it doesn't take very long before we start to sin and stop following and trusting Him.  The Israelites were depending on Moses, a mere human, to lead them.  Even though God was in their presence, showing Himself thru a cloud of smoke during the day and a pillar of fire at night, they still would not listen to Him. Nor would they trust Him. 

The moment Moses, the one they were really following, left their site, they became afraid and felt the need to look to other things to put their trust in. Things they could see. Things they could touch.  They began worshiping something they created. They sinned in every way against the One in whom they SHOULD HAVE BEEN following and trusting.

I am also guilty of this sin.  I have been trusting in things I've created for myself. Things I can see and touch.  I have been relying on others as my source....my job, my family, my friends, my income, etc....things I have or could have.  I have not been trusting the One and only Source of EVERYTHING I could ever possibly want or need.  HE is the Source of my DESIRE.  He IS my desire!

One thing I have desired of the Lord, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple. ~Psalm 27:4

He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them. ~Psalm 145:9

Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. ~Psalm 73:25

When Moses came back down the mountain and saw the golden calf, he displayed an emotion that God was feeling at the same time--anger.  So in his anger, Moses ground the golden calf into dust and made them drink it in another of their sources....their water. 

God spoke to Moses, “Go! Get down there! Your people whom you brought up from the land of Egypt have fallen to pieces. In no time at all they’ve turned away from the way I commanded them: They made a molten calf and worshiped it....I look at this people—oh! what a stubborn, hard-headed people! Let me alone now, give my anger free reign to burst into flames and incinerate them. But I’ll make a great nation out of you.”   ~Exodus 32:7, 9-10

All that I have been "worshiping" can also be destroyed.  Although I am covered by the Blood of Jesus and so graciously forgiven, I could very easily be destroyed (and all that I have) if God so chooses to do so.  But in His mercy and grace, He chooses not to. What a amazing thing that is!

This is where I live every.single.day.....

My Prayer:

Father God, please forgive me for worshiping "things" and not You.  Please forgive me for not trusting You and please help me to trust You more.  JESUS is my Source. Show me just how BIG my Source is. Relieve me of my "things" and help me to come to You for my every need and desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment